How to Get Involved With the Love Letters Campaign
Hello! There’s nothing like sharing a little love, especially around the Valentine’s Day season! Unite with DoSomething, Mentor Up and Meals on Wheels for our Love Letters Campaign!
Here’s the skinny on Love Letters:
WHO: DoSomething, Mentor Up, Meals on Wheels and You
-Also, Nickelodeon star, Victoria Justice is pitching in ! Here’s her PSA:
WHAT: The Love Letters Campaign
- Lasts from January 2nd until February 15th
- It’s an opportunity to spread love to your mentors and make their day a little bit brighter
WHY: According to DoSomething.org…
- A lack of social connections (which can be re-phrased as loneliness or isolation) is as comparable a risk factor for early death as smoking 15 cigarettes a day and is worse for individuals than other well-known risk factors such as obesity and physical inactivity.
- An estimated 6 percent of people ages 65 and older in a given year, or approximately 2 million individuals in this age group, have a diagnosable depressive illness.
- The rate of depression rises when in home healthcare or hospitalization is required. Depression rates rise to 13.5% in those who require home healthcare and to 11.5% in older hospital patients.
- 1 in 6 seniors don’t know where their next meal will come from. That’s why they have Meals on Wheels!
HOW: Interested? You can check out http://www.dosomething.org/loveletters and/or look at the directions below.
- Sign up on DoSomething’s site. Then, design/create a card for a mentor
- Be sure to wish them a happy Valentine’s Day
- Include at least 3 facts about yourself such as, Your Name, The State you live in and Dream Job
- Use the “Find Your Location to locate the nearest Meals on Wheels spot
- Send! Be sure to upload a picture of you and your card at DoSomething’s site.